Thursday, August 26, 2010

Til We Meet Again

If I had to have a last day here, I could not have asked for a better one. Today we went to the Moot colony, a colony completely run by Rising Star. It is very small and very old and very isolated. These people do not have or know of a world outside of their small community because they have no means of transportation and most are severely crippled. Rising Star brings them rice and beans once every 2 weeks and that is the only way they survive. Spending time with these people today, I realized how special each of them is and how my life is richer having known them.

Meet Saroja: Saroja is so tiny and looks even smaller as she moves around on 2 fingerless hands and one stump of a foot. She cannot weigh more than 60 pounds. She contracted leprosy at around age 5. She is in her late sixties now, and in addition to her disfigured and missing limbs she suffers from a half paralyzed face and sunken eye. Dr. Kumar told us how she married at age 14 to Krishna, another member of the colony. He was physically abusive to her for most of their marriage, but now he gets around on a little tray with wheels, pushing himself with his sandled hands. Even though she hates him and they do not live together, she still makes his food everyday because he cannot do it on his own. This woman, who has so little, takes part of her ration of rice and beans, crushes it up, and feeds it to the birds. It is what makes her happy, giving to those less fortunate than herself. I cannot think of a better example of charity and strength.

Meet Jay Raj: Jay Raj is the entertainer. There was not a moment while we were there that he didn't have a huge smile on his face. He spent most of our visit dancing to what few Indian songs I currently have in my repertoire (Thank you, Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack) and some American songs as well. It never ceases to amaze me how much joy some of these people have in their circumstances. It really makes me look at my life in a new light. Is it bad that they do so much more for me than I could ever do for them?

It was really sad to leave Moot, especially knowing that I probably won't see these people ever again in this lifetime. I hate that this trip has to end. I hate that there isn't more I can do right now. Let me stay.

I have been preparing myself for this last play time with the kids. And by preparing, I mean avoiding the fact that it is my last time with the kids. There are so many relationships that I've begun that have only just started to blossom, and it breaks my heart to have to say goodbye so soon. Play time was over too fast. Vicky and little Gracie held each of my hands as we walked to the Dining Hall for prayer time. I sat between them and just looked into their beautiful faces. These children have so much love to give and crave so much in return, and it just kills me that I can't give it to them.

After dinner, I took my little disposable camera (which I had to reteach myself how to use) and took photos of me with all my favorite kiddos. I'm going to mail the pictures back to them when I get them printed and hopefully start some sort of mailing correspondence. I am genuinely concerned and interested in their education and futures and I want to keep in touch. I see how happy they get when they receive letters from their sponsors and I want to give them that joy. I just hung out with my boys for a little while. We played soccer and Vicky painted my nails a horrendous jaundice yellow, and when it was time for bed, I lined them all up to get a kiss from me. What followed was a solid 40 minutes of giggling, tickling, and kissing. I am so in love with these kids and their laughs. When they smiled at me and kissed my cheek, I could die of happiness. It was the hardest thing in the world to say goodbye to them.

Tonight we gathered in the mango room with Steele and Sarah and all took turns reading a journal or blog entry and telling everyone why we came to India. I shared my Shakthivel story and showed them my plastic wall hanger. As for why I came to India, I think it was to learn to love more purely. I think it was to participate in something bigger than myself, to serve others so completely that my worries and troubles would melt away in the things that really matter in this world. I will miss the children, I will miss the people I've met in the colonies, I will miss my fellow volunteers, I will miss India.

I will love, I will serve, I will feed the birds.

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you today in all of your goodbyes. I hurt for you, Its so hard. You will never be the same because of this experience..I am so proud of you and grateful you finally got the chance to experience it yourself. Now you can join me, and many others, in the "I miss India club." Love you meesh! Can't wait to see you and hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving, serving, and feeding is the whole point in life. I'm glad you found it! I think the Lord gives us experiences to help us realize this great truth. It is all about doing those things within your sphere of influence, those the Lord puts in our path. It is the example of Christ. We do our best to follow Him. Love you, Michelle. You are one very special daughter of God, and one stinkin' special sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi michelle! i'm not sure if you still check this blog, but i have a question for you. i write for latter-day woman magazine and we are featuring rising star in next month's issue. i would love to hear a little about your experience, and with your permission, include a few quotes in my article. if you get this within the next few days, will you email me? jessie.lynn.george@gmail.com

    thanks so much! it looks like you had an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. u're undoubtedly engaged in a worthy cause, n its heartening to see what you are doing...its so gratifying to see humans like you, who can look beyond national boundaries.

    People with a "conscience" do their bit, but wht they don't do, is ask "why", like why should bombs, guns and tanks be more important than schools, colleges and hospitals?Why should cultures and religions be more important than "humans"? Why should geographical divisions on the map be stronger than the bonds of humanity? Why,when crores of people are deprived of their daily bread, the governments should find it necessary to have nukes? And why should some humans depend on government's "cheap rice" or other humans' charity?

    Philanthropists have been doing their bit since times immemorial, but why the divide between the affluent and the poor has only widened? In india the politicians are buying votes with cheap rice. And there are crores of people who don't care for any thing more. In remote areas (not very far from the urban hubs)there are hardly any schools, colleges, hospitals and other infrastructure worth the name. And those are the things that really matter for the needy to rise above their perpetual misery! But they're not in a state to demand those things and nobody cares!

    Its good to see a world where the starving are fed, but wouldn't it be still better, if no one starved. Its nice to see the destitute being offered refuge, but w'dn't it be better if they all had their share of earth water and sky. It's heartening to see the weak being cared for, but w'dn't it be better, much better if no one was robbed of their dignity and forced to remain weak?

    ReplyDelete