Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Indian kids are cute

I met the rest of the group this morning when we all convened together in the Marriott lobby. It was fun to reunite with Corin and Jaclyn (I butchered their names before) and meet all the other girls and one boy. We are basically from all over the country but there are a few of us from Utah. There's a 18 year old from Mission Viejo who couldn't look or sound more like Blake Lively. Her name is Mandy and she is friends with my cousins who live in southern california.



The 3 hour bus ride to RSO, though extremely hot, was not that bad. It was fun to get a look at India during the day time, and I stand by my first comparison to Egypt. There are a lot of 4 or 5 story buildings, most gray, and lots of little storefronts lining the street. Most people drive these little 3-wheeled open-air motor cars or motorcycles, but I saw a lot of nice cars too. One thing I noticed was that there were a ton of people out on the street, either walking around or sitting around. Men wear modern clothing and women traditional. The city soon turned to waterfront which turned into foliage which turned into farm land which turned into the village just outside our campus: Thottanaval.

The building we are staying in is brand new. I share a room with four other girls, have to use a squatter toilet, and Indian meals are prepared for me daily. So far, the food is just okay. A lot of rice and curry and cabbage. I'm excited to make myself a pb&j tomorrow. As soon as we arrived, we (the girls) changed into traditional kurtas which turn out to be hotter than you'd think they would be. I actually don't think it matters what you wear here, no matter what you will sweat through whatever you are wearing. It is so hot and the humidity makes you feel like you will never be clean again. Hopefully, at some point, I'll get used to it.



Jenny, one of our coordinators who has lived here on and off for the past year, gave us a tour of the campus: our building, the school, the David Archuleta pathway of hope (what the...), the boys and girls home, etc. Then we were let loose to play with the kids. FINALLY. I have been waiting to play with them for months. They are the cutest things I have ever seen and have more energy then any american kid I have ever known.



These kids are sons and daughters of people afflicted with leprosy, and only see their parents 3 or 4 times a year. For the hardship they have suffered in their young lives, these children are unbelievably happy. They just want you to play with them and take pictures of them and I realized immediately how daunting the task of memorizing their names is. First of all, they are mostly long and complicated. Second of all, it is really hard to understand some of their accents.




After play time, the volunteers went up to the roof to eat dinner as is tradition. We ate traditional Indian food on the traditional plate of the banana leaf. We enjoyed a gorgeous sunset and each talked about our highs and lows of the day. I realized how grateful I am to be here right now and how much I really do need this. We were assigned to house families at dinner. For the rest of my time here, Mandy, her brother Tanner, and I will be helping and taking care of a group of 4-9 year old boys. They are the most beautiful things I have ever laid eyes on and they are so full of personality. It was hard to get all fifteen or so to settle down and go to sleep on their little mats on the floor, but with the help of house mother Elizabeth we were able to get them to bed on time.

I am so exhausted and gross and happy to be here. Tomorrow I am assigned to medical duty in the colony. I am nervous and excited.


Today's high: The kids.
Today's low: The heat.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you've made it! Tell Dr. Kumar hello for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is the same template as mine :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete