Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hello India, My name is Michelle.

My first flight today, from Salt Lake City to Chicago, was a breeze. In two and a half hours, I barely had time enough to enjoy a ginger ale and some crossword puzzles. I sat next to a girl who only spoke French so needless to say it was a quiet flight. (Where were you Lizzie??) I met Tricia at the airport in Salt Lake. She is a nursing major from Salt Lake and I may or may not have basically copy/pasted her itinerary so I wouldn’t be alone. Luckily, we like each other.

We met another girl, Rachel, in Chicago and had time to get to know each other before our 8-hour flight to Brussels. I decided to try out something my friend Spencer suggested on this flight. I bought my flight attendants a bag of mini Oreos in the gift shop because I was told that, especially on long flights, if you show that kind of appreciation to your flight attendants that they will basically be really happy and hook you up. So before take off, I handed the bag to one of the flight attendants, expressed my sincere appreciation for their service and empathized that having known people in the industry, I know how tough it can be sometimes. It was amazing to see her eyes light up at this act, and soon she and her friend were thanking me over and over again. Her friend told me that she was having a really rough day and that those Oreos just made her so happy. At that point, I realized that whether or not they give me anything, I have to always do this from now on. Prior to the Oreo exchange, they had graciously moved me to a window seat with no one sitting next to me, so I already felt hooked up and did not expect much more. However, whenever they brought that drink cart around, they were offering to buy me drinks left and right. Gotta love that airplane wine...:)

There is nothing quite like watching the sun set and rise from an airplane. There is also nothing quite like chasing the sun. It was only dark for about 4 hours, of which I’d hoped to sleep through with the help of Tylenol PM. However, I did not sleep very well. I kept waking up and my body would be all numb from the pain killers. It didn’t make me drowsy though, so when we arrived in Belgium I was doing okay. Flying into Brussels this morning was great. I loved the fact that I was back in Europe, and the beauty of the countryside through the window reaffirmed my desire to live there someday. Once we’d landed, I met two more RSO volunteers, a girl named Shannon and her mom Kim.

Our flight to Chennai, India was delayed. It turned out to be a ten-hour flight. It really was not all that bad though. It was a nice plane and I had an aisle seat with an empty chair next to me. I was able to sleep a little without medicinal help. I watched three movies. I listened to my books on tape. I did crossword puzzles, and just when I thought the flight had to be just about over….I realized there was still almost 4 hours left. There were lots of Indians on my flight and they are such beautiful people. The old lady in front of me was rocking a bright green sari that shows her stomach and a gold nose ring. The middle aged man across the aisle has a mustache that would be the envy of any of my guy friends. As we flew low over dark Chennai, aglow with city lights, I said to myself, "Hello India, it's great to finally meet you."

I made it to the Marriott without a glitch around 3am India time (3pm Utah time). This was the part of the journey I was most worried about. It was dark, so I didn't get a spectacular idea of what Chennai looks like, but from what I saw it is very similar to Cairo, if not a little nicer (which isn't really saying much). It was interesting to have the car I arrived in checked for bombs before being let on the premises. And if I hadn't had my passport and bags checked enough already, they did it again at the hotel as well. I'm staying in a room with Rachel and Tricia and its pretty nice. I just exchanged my American money for Indian rupees. I don't think I will ever understand how my $60 turned into 2,586 rupees.

I am so glad to be here safe and sound. Tomorrow I will take the fateful bus ride to the RSO campus and finally get a feel for what I will actually be doing these next few weeks. I can't wait!! Now I will go take my last normal shower before I perfect the bucket method. Love to you all!

4 comments:

  1. YOU DRANK THE AIRPLANE WINE???????

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." I'm so proud of you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you, so sad for me... Cannot wait for you to experience the long bus ride to your Rising Star home...the minute you get there you will dread ever having to say goodbye. Live it up. It passes too quickly. Excited to read your experiences...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the gratitude to the flight attendants! It's amazing how being grateful can change everything!! I love your enthusiasm and love of life. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete