Thursday, August 12, 2010

This is why I'm here...

Going to the colony today was such an amazing experience. Because of micro-lending, a lot of patients have set up their own shops utilizing their many talents. There is an amazing carpenter in the village, and I especially enjoyed going to the art school and watching these incredible individuals paint with clawed, sometimes fingerless hands. I am going to buy one of their paintings before I leave. Their art is really a symbol of the life and beauty that continues to exist when everything else seems to have gone wrong.

The place where we provided medical attention is lovingly called The Old Folks Home. Dr. Kumar told us more about leprosy and explained their treatment methods, and as he was doing so I felt myself losing it. I was getting lightheaded and nauseous before I had even done anything and I had to kind of pull myself away for a minute to compose myself. I was frustrated at myself for feeling this way and I knew there was no way I was going to back out of this now, so I quickly prayed for strength and went back to work.

I volunteered to wash the feet of the patients, and it was amazing. The little old ladies were my favorite. None of the patients spoke English, but they showed their gratitude by grabbing my face, then kissing their hands. One lady, after I had washed her disfigured and ulcered feet, grabbed my cheeks and proceeded to say a prayer for me. It was so touching, and as I went all teary-eyed to refill the washing bowl, I saw a butterfly floating over the trash-filled alley. It was a reminder to me of the beauty that can be found here. The country is poor, the cities littered and crowded, but India is full of the kindest, happiest, and most beautiful people I have ever met. "Reaching for the Stars" does not seem like a good title for my blog anymore.


After I got back, I took a bucket shower and went to the dress rehearsal for the dance program the kids are putting on tomorrow. I was sort of inspired by the instructor's story. Her name is Katie and she is a dance major at the Boston Conservatory. She's been here since May and has since organized a dance troupe that she hopes will one day travel to the neighboring cities and colonies with the message that leprosy is not the stigma that it used to be. The theme this summer at RSO is "Change a World" and I think Katie is really doing it.

Play time was exhausting today. Probably because I didn't sleep much last night. I finally met the notorious Rosemary and we took a couple laps around the playground. She is a saucy little girl and truly hilarious. I danced the macarena with some older girls, which as you all know, is my favorite past time. I was nodding off during dinner on the roof. All I ate for dinner was a small portion of fruit salad. The meal consisted of bony fish and curry with bony fish in it, so I passed. I reaaaally wish I had a grilled cheese right now. I took a tiny nap on the boy's mat tonight. I really need to get over this jet lag.

Today's high: The women at the colony and what they taught me about love.
Today's low: Exhaustion. And also realizing that there is a very good chance I'll get lice here. Dang it.

2 comments:

  1. I apologize for commenting on everything, but now that you are there you probably understand why I am obsessed. Also, the green chudidar you are wearing is new and I was the first one to wear it! Go us. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you...love you.

    ReplyDelete