Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Birds and Worms

This morning we all went together to the Bindu Art School again. It was so great to see the familiar smiling faces of the painters. I had seen another painting that I wanted to get last time I was there, but it turns out that I fell in love with one a woman in the corner had just finished. She sits on the floor near the backdoor, is deaf and nearly blind, and with her deformed hands she paints birds. It is the most amazing thing to witness. I'm pretty sure I posted a picture of her painting in an earlier post. Her paintings are not the most magnificent pieces of workmanship; in fact, they look like they could have been painted by a child. But what they represent makes them more beautiful than any museum art I have ever seen.

Most everyone left the school with paintings in hand and we headed off to the junction. A few of us made the mistake of trying some of the food people were selling on the street, only to be reminded by Sara that we might get worms now. Oops. I stocked up on my favorite Indian snacks and cookies to bring home and bought some bindi's to rock for my last few days here. I can't believe I go home this week. This trip went way too fast. I'm not ready to go back to the real world. I'm not ready to leave my little heaven here. I'm not ready to leave the kids who I've only just begun to get to know. I'm not ready to say goodbye to the wonderful, rich people I have met here who teach me lessons of service and love.

Today's high: Playing with the little girls during talent class.

Today's low: Worm scare.


1 comment:

  1. :( sucks huh? Just when you're really starting to love these people and really get to know them they ship ya off. Pretty horrible feeling

    ReplyDelete