Monday, August 23, 2010

Is this real life?



My mom sent me an anxious email telling me to update my blog and I apologize for not letting you all know that I would not be taking my computer along with me this weekend. I probably should have so I wouldn't have to catch up on so much now, but whatever.

The journey to Delhi began with the 3 hour bus ride back to the airport, where we boarded a plane and enjoyed a 3 hour flight. We spent a few hours driving through New Delhi and exploring Old Delhi via bicycle-powered rickshaw. New Delhi is about 100 times nicer than Chennai. It was amazing to see how clean and green it was. It didn't feel like India. We stopped at the place where Ghandi spent his last 144 days and where he was shot by an assassin. The memorial was awesome and super pretty. In Old Delhi, we rode through tiny alleyways and had a quick tour of a Jainism temple which was beautiful inside. I swear we almost got hit five or six times but it made for an exciting time. We walked through the spice market which was kind of disgusting and not as cool as it sounds. There were dead dogs lying on the sidewalk and sooo many flies. We eventually got back on the bus and slept through the 5 hour drive to Agra where the Taj Mahal is.

We got there really late and had to wake up really early in order to get to the Taj at sunrise. The whole thing was unreal. It is the single most stunning building I have ever seen in my life. It is somewhere around 500 years old and looks brand new. There is extraordinary detailing inside and outside and it has retained its original beauty because it was done with gem stones instead of paint. Everything is very symmetrical and perfect. It looks too perfect to be real, although the stone towers on the sides are intentionally leaning outward in case of an earthquake. The Taj Mahal was built by an emperor for his favorite wife when she died. So romantic.

We had to leave the Taj eventually. I probably could have stayed and looked at it all day but we had to go see the Agra Fort where this famous emperor lived. On our way, Corin and I fell under an attack of the vendors. We made the mistake of buying something and were thus bombarded. I pretended like I couldn't speak English, but apparently these vendors speak Italian too. On two occasions, we took off running to get away from them. Most stopped at that point but there were a couple boys that ran right after us. It was pretty hysterical.

Agra Fort was incredible. It was huuuuge. It just kept going and going. It really was gorgeous. My personal favorite was that there was a giant courtyard with a huge bath in the center especially for the emperor's 500 concubines. Yes, this is the same emperor who loved his wife so much he built the Taj Mahal. Took the romance out of that story real fast.

Later that night we went to the mall where they actually sell clothes on like hangers and stuff. I bought a curta that I though I might wear in America (what did I wear there? I seem to recall stretchy pants?). A little kid did henna on my arm which looks AWESOME and then we hit up McDonalds where there is not one thing on the menu that contains beef. I got a veggie burger, fries, and the most amazing ice cream sundae of all the ice cream sundaes. After dinner, we made a quick stop at the Medical Store (for future reference, remind me not to ever start my period a week early and unprepared in a foreign country that has never heard of the tampon unless I want to stop at said "medical store" that ends up being a tent on the side of the road with creepy old men smoking in the back because its the only place in India that sells feminine hygiene products). From there, we split up, half of us going to some equivalent of an off-broadway musical and the other half going to the bazaar. I was in the bazaar group and it was so fun to peruse the shops and shop my little heart out. We took a motor rickshaw back to the hotel, and as we were still negotiating the price, our driver started going. We yelled at him to let us out because we wouldn't pay him as much as he wanted and when he didn't, Mandi yells "No rupees for you!!" and he busts up laughing. Maybe we were loopy from the long day, but it was the funniest thing ever. Until we went to the hotel's discotheque and danced with crazy Indians. It was a great day.

Sunday morning we woke up and went to ride an elephant. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't to pull over onto the side of the road and meet it there. I think that if I saw the elephant before I paid for the ride, I definitely would not have paid for the ride. It was the saddest elephant I have ever seen, covered in these weird spots that made it look kind of diseased. I asked the elephant driver what the spots were and he said the elephant was female. Something is telling me that that isn't quite right but whatever. It was cool to take a little ride down the road on an elephant amongst the motorcycles and rickshaws.

I don't really want to talk about the travel back to Rising Star. It was awfuuulllll. I was so happy to get back last night. It just feels like home. I missed the kids and I missed doing productive things with my life. Today I was on medical and I've decided that while it is the hardest of the three rotations, its my favorite. We got there early today so we had a chance to walk around the colony, which is the biggest one I've been to. We met a man who had no legs from the knee down and was in the process of putting on his prosthetics when we passed by. Dr. Kumar told us of how one year ago, when he still had one good leg, he was suffering greatly and Dr. Kumar sent him to the hospital with his cell phone number in case he had a problem. A day or so later, Dr. Kumar received a phone call. He usually does not answer while he is driving but for some reason he decided to pull over and answer. It was this man, who was at the train station. He felt as if there was no hope for him and he was a burden to his wife, so if Dr. Kumar didn't answer the phone, he was going to throw himself in front of a train. Dr. Kumar testified that it is the small things we do that really matter around here, like answering the phone. He helped this man get into the hospital, which at first denied him because he has leprosy and he is doing okay now. I thought that was an amazing story.

I started off washing feet today, but there was a greater need for people testing for diabetes. I've never done that before and I kind of felt uncomfortable about it but I knew I had to do what I had to do. As they were showing me how to poke the needle into what is left of their hands, I kind of had a minor meltdown. My hands started shaking uncontrollably and I almost started crying and I didn't know what was wrong with me. Medical is so draining emotionally and I guess I just lost it for a second. I walked it off and was able to come back and do it for the rest of the time we were there, but it was rough. I feel really stupid and weak about that.

Norbin cheered me up. Norbin was blind for 20 years during which he kept to himself, was soft spoken, and reclusive. He recently was able to get cataract surgery and can see and live again. He is the most gregarious and hilarious men I have ever met. We couldn't speak a word of each others language but we had a great time just being with each other. He showed us the tattoo on his chest which looks like 2 men sword fighting. He checked out our henna hands and laughed and smiled with us. As we were parting, he burst into song and blessed us. He even threw a little beat boxing in there. He seriously made my day and I just love him for the joy he brings to everyone around him.

I was so happy to see the kids again today. I really did miss them. During play time, we had a heated soccer game. We split up into teams and I asked the kids what our team name should be. Vicky said "Team Jesus" so we all put our hands in for a "1, 2, 3, TEAM JESUS." Next thing I hear is the other team screaming, "1, 2, 3, TEAM MARY!" It felt so good to run around after so much sitting and traveling. I was soaked with sweat by dinner time. It was great.

Today's high: Meeting Norbin, Team Jesus's epic win, and the fruit and green beans I ate for dinner.
Today's low: unnecessary breakdown over stabbing people with needles

4 comments:

  1. You are such a good girl! And yes, stretchy pants are a staple for you here in the US. I miss you, and you are not weak, you are getting strong! I'm loving this adventure for you! I love hearing about the love you are feeling for these people as you serve them. Good for you and good for them for teaching you service and love for all of God's children. Can't wait to see you! Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Taj Mahal is on my Must See Before 30 List. I am so jealous!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you Michelle for sharing all of this. You are so very brave and strong .... weak is the last word I think of when I think of you!! Hugs to you my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put "Go to McDonalds in India" on my bucket list. Also, you are amazing. xoxo
    Emily

    ReplyDelete