Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Auntie you look supah!"

I walked through the village early early early this morning and it was really great to see everything as it was just waking up. There were cows everywhere and women drawing water from the well. People were sweeping in front of their houses and children waved to us as we walked by. It got hot far too quickly though and I found myself speed walking back to my air conditioned room.

Today was construction day in the colonies. And like any true American construction site, there were two people working and 8 people standing around. There just wasn't anything for us to do; and while that may sound like a good thing, its hard when you are here all ready to help and work hard and then you end up doing nothing instead. It kind of made me feel like I wasted my day because there is so much I could be helping with back on the RSO campus. On the bright side, I bought a painting from the Bindu Art School (I know, another painting). These paintings are done by the leprosy patients that live in the old folks home so they are extra special to me.

During our break time today, Brittany and Tricia and I got all dressed up in Sari's. All the Indian women here wear them and they are super gorgeous. Sari's are super complicated to get into so I had tiny Mira help me into it. She is a grown mother of three but probably weighs about 80 lbs. She was upset by the fact that I didn't bring any jewelry here because apparently the Sari isn't complete without some glam bling. I walked over to play time and one girl came and fixed part of it for me. Another girl looked me up and down and exclaimed, "Aunty, you look supah!"

Instead of talent classes today (which were a disaster last time) we decided to have a huge dance party with all the kids. It was soooo fun dancing with them to Indian music. They have some awesome moves. It started to rain a little bit on us and I was hoping for "dancing in the rain part dos" but the rain stopped. Joseph Stalin has a high kick that is every dancer's dream and Rajkumari is such a talented dancer that all the little kids look up to. It is amazing to see how much joy dance brings these children and how much joy their smiles bring me.

Dinner was sad tonight because its our last one all together. Katie, Raegan, and Jenny all leave this weekend and so all next week we'll just be with Steele and Sara Hendershot. Those of us who are going on the Delhi trip to see the Taj Mahal and everything are leaving at three in the morning to make it to the airport in time for our flight. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to go to bed tonight. Since I'm already falling asleep, I think I know what will inevitably happen.

Photos courtesy of photo booth. R.I.P. camera.

Today's high: dance party
Today's low: sitting around at construction

No comments:

Post a Comment